Monday, January 24, 2011

Where Is Your Memory?



What is remember?
What to remeber?
How to remember?

I always think that it is always an instinct instead of ability of human to remember.
Just a passing remark, really.

Today we learn a new term, "Mnemonic"--- ways of associating the information we want with a visual image, a sentence, or a word, so that it helps us remember something.

Upon mentioning the term, my brain was fully blasted with the typical example of mnemonics.
Let me tell you this one, this is a funny one:
When I was in my first year, UM is having the campus election.
And the candidates, yes the candidates, oh how smart and creative they are.
They are the real experts in using mnemonics.
So, one of my seniors managed to make fun of his own name by using the same thing.
"Nampak tung sampah, ingat Tong. Sila mengundi Joseph Tong."
I laughed like a mad woman that day, that's why I remember until now.

Wow, it seems Mnemonics method has a really good and deep impact on our memory.



I like Mnemonics, not because it makes my memory lasting longer,
but also making my study life more interesting.

For example, I remember this is how I remember the magnet characteristics:
"Same sides dislike each other, so they push each other away.
Different sides likes each other, so they are always stick together."

Of course, magnets are lifeless objects, so technically, magnets do not have feelings.
But it is my own perception that magnets act like human: Together when you're in love, Separate when you're in hate."
This is how I learn during science lessons.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Now I want to share with you a really interesting movie that I have seen:
"V For Vendetta."
Firstly, this male protagonist introduced himself with a really interesting quotes:
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you, and you may call me V."

To be furthermore, he always wears a Guy Fawkes mask.
And he quotes a special day for his revolution.
November the 5th, the day of gunpowder treason.
It is impossible to forget him, really.
He is a true grand master of mnemonics.


2 comments:

  1. though i did not manage to read the whole passage, i can remember his name very well.....V......

    ReplyDelete
  2. V is for Vendetta . love this movie. can't predict what will happen next until the end I make wrong prediction. ;)

    ReplyDelete